LIMA Announces International Licensing Excellence Award Winners
(Las Vegas, NV) June 15, 2011 – Toy Story 3 was presented the Best Licensed Program of the Year Award by the International Licensing Industry Merchandisers’ Association last night at the Licensing International Expo 2011 in Las Vegas. The third installment of The Walt Disney Company’s animated comedy-adventure film series, Toy Story 3 was also honored in the entertainment award category. Additionally, Hello Kitty swept the Best Character or Toy Brand category, winning three awards.
In all, LIMA presented 15 International Licensing Excellence Awards recognizing the best and most successful licensed properties and products in seven categories: Art/Design, Character/Toy, Corporate, Film/Television/Celebrity/Entertainment, Sports, Promotion and Retailer. Nominations were solicited worldwide from across the licensing industry and winners were chosen by a vote of the LIMA membership.
This year’s International Licensing Excellence Award winners included many recognizable brands such as LEGO, Victoria and Albert Museum, Animal Planet, NASCAR and Hello Kitty, as well as Boots, the first retailer outside the U.S. to be honored. In fact, more than a quarter of the entries were from non-US companies, emphasizing the global reach of licensing.
“It is extremely gratifying to see the breadth and quality of the programs created by the licensing community from around the globe,” said Charles Riotto, President of LIMA. “The more than 220 entries represent the best of the best and the Association is proud to honor the winners for their ingenuity and for demonstrating licensing industry expertise.”
All awards are based on calendar year 2010. The winners, by category, are:
- Best Art/Design Program: Victoria and Albert Museum (by Victoria and Albert Museum/V&A Enterprises)
- Best Art/Design Licensee: Dom Pérignon (for Andy Warhol)
- Best Character/Toy Brand Program: Hello Kitty (by Sanrio, Inc.)
- Best Character/Toy Brand Licensee: HARD GOODS – Smart USA (for Hello Kitty)
- Best Character/Toy Brand Licensee: SOFT GOODS – Loungefly (for Hello Kitty)
- Best Corporate Brand Program: Animal Planet (by Discovery Communications/The Joester Loria Group)
- Best Corporate Brand Licensee: Shabby Chic for Simply Shabby Chic at Target
FILM, TELEVISION, CELEBRITY OR ENTERTAINMENT
- Best Film, Television, Celebrity or Entertainment Program: Toy Story 3 (by The Walt Disney Company)
- Best Film, Television, Celebrity or Entertainment Licensee: HARD GOODS – LEGO (for Harry Potter)
- Best Film, Television, Celebrity or Entertainment Licensee: SOFT GOODS – Awake, Inc. (for Glee)
SPORTS AND SPORTS-THEMED ENTERTAINMENT
- Best Sports Program: NASCAR Team Properties (by NASCAR and Teams)
- Best Sports Licensee: JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (for Ultimate Fighting Championship)
- Best Licensed Promotion: Dove Glee (for All by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp.)
- Best Retailer: Boots (for Strictly Come Dancing)
OVERALL BEST LICENSED PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
- Toy Story 3 (by The Walt Disney Company)